Sunday, August 21, 2011

"What's that 'Philadelia' girl?..."

"...What's that mean?  No sexy?"

Ah-hah-hah.  The days of my youth in the high school pit orchestra on the set of South Pacific.

But for real.  I hail from a suburb of Philadelphia, and I am home for the week, just before the hell-throes of my last semester begin.  Well... I exaggerate a bit - my course load for the next few months is:

- Process Design 1 + lab (Chemical Engineering core curriculum)
- Bio 1 + lab
- Chinese 1

So, to be fair, this is technically the easiest semester I've taken since Freshman year, 1st semester.  ...Stop staring at me like that.

Anywho.  I must admit that I haven't crafted a great deal since I got home, despite my sewing machine being within arm's reach.  My parents aren't really too fond of the 2nd-hander mentality, despite being the most frugal people I know (actually - fun anecdote - I decided to wear an old thrift store green jersey dress with a lace tucker, and the very first thing my mom said to me when she saw me was "Wow!  ...You look like an old woman!")  To that end, I left my scraps in Pittsburgh.  Sigh.  In the interim, I can at least share this quickie that I've been working on:


I made this from a large tee-shirt w/ a giant racing logo screen-printed on the front.  Actually - that hole on my back, where you can totally see my bra?  That was originally the front of the shirt.  I turned it around, cut out the logo, and cinched up the gaping hole to make it a little more fun to wear :)  Also - just in case you ever are curious, food is a really great way to stain yourself, but a terrible way to get good dye results.  Beet juice?  Pale orange-brown.  Tea?  Pale orange-brown.  Ketchup (read:  desperate)?  Pale orange-brown.  It's pretty disheartening, given all my other clothing items that are forever ruined because of a spill.

Ironically, the reason for whipping this up was because I needed a plain white tee-shirt for a benefit that I'll be volunteering for this September.  It's called Savor Pittsburgh - if you live in the Pittsburgh area, you should check it out.  All the major restaurants in the area gather in SouthSide Works to have a great sampler event.  My sorority (don't go mental - it's the engineering soro) volunteers every year; this'll be my second time bussing.  It's good fun.

http://www.savorpgh.com/


Publicizing aside, the (current) front is a little bit too boring at the moment, so if anyone has any suggestions to spice it up a little, I'm all ears.

Things might slow down even more once school starts, but I'll still try to get a piece in every week.  If not clothing, then maybe a recipe or something similar.

Until the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment