Thursday, September 10, 2015

Sometimes the radio is my worst enemy


Confession/Unpopular Opinion #1:  I don't hate the song "Blurred Lines".

"What the hell, Victoria.  Aren't you a feminist?"

Yes, I believe in equal rights for men and women.  But when I listen to the song on the radio or read the lyrics, I honestly don't get all that angry.  I've read some of the arguments against the song, how misogynistic it is and how it promotes rape culture, but... Iunno.  It just reads like a cocksure guy hoping to get laid with a hot chick.  It's pretty chauvinistic, it's a dumb song, yeah, and the music video is just plain gross.

Not that I dislike boobs.  Actually, quite the opposite.

However, that is a topic of a different discussion that I will not be addressing.

You know what actually gets me angry?  This song.

I actually fought with myself about whether or not I would link the video or anything that would actually further publicize knowledge of this trash.

For those who don't click on my links, the song in question in "Habits (Stay High)" by Tove Lo.  For those who have never heard the song, the chorus goes thusly:

You're gone and I gotta stay
High all the time
To keep you off my mind (ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh)
High all the time
To keep you off my mind (ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh)
Spend my days locked in a haze
Trying to forget you babe
I fall back down
Gotta stay high all my life
To forget I'm missing you

I can't even begin to describe how amazingly self-destructive the character in this song is.  Long story short, she/he/it indulges in drugs, sex, and general hedonism to numb themselves from loss and reality.

Here's another gem of a line:

I get home, I got the munchies 
Binge on all my Twinkies
Throw up in the tub

THIS IS ALCOHOL POISONING.  THIS IS HER BODY BEGGING HER TO STOP THIS NONSENSE.

This song is promoting the worst kind of behavior for dealing with something that happens to each and every one of us on a regular basis.  And it reached #3 on the Top 100 list in the US.  No one made a fuss about it.  Why?  Because it wasn't violating anyone's rights?  Because we like to ignore depression and alcoholism and addiction like it's just a bad phase?  WHY AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO IS UPSET ABOUT THIS?

And do you know what the worst part is?  I actually kind of like this song.

It used to come on my morning radio station all the time, and until I took the time to listen to the lyrics, I thought it had an amazing beat.  And even when I stopped and paid attention, I couldn't stop liking the way this song sounded.  I was totally hooked.  It was a guilty pleasure.

Thankfully, music these days comes and goes, and the tune has been replaced a hundred times over. But every once in a while, it'll come on, I'll grit my teeth, and bob my head a little.

I have some weird priorities.  (This is the kind of junk I talk about when I leave my entries until the last minute.)

Until the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment