Thursday, July 21, 2011

Finding El Dorado

For those of you who don't know me personally, I'm a pretty thrifty person.  My boyfriend, Dillon, recently introduced me to one something that really feeds this tendency - garage sales and the like.  Most of the time, you just find little knick-knacks and older items - nothing of serious interest.

Other times you come across a treasure trove:

Top Tray - More needles than I'll ever need!
Blurry, but lots of small spools
Originally a huge mess.  Dillon made the dividers for me <3

Carlow University, one of the many schools in the Pittsburgh area, holds a gigantic yard sale in one of their auditoriums every so often.  I went with Dillon for a lark, expecting it to be a book sale, mainly.  Instead, I came away with some great items and that little baby up there.  Cost for that whole box?  $5.

When I got home, Dillon had me open her up and visually catalog everything in there.  I didn't count up everything, but the contents easily amount to:
- 50+ spools of thread
- 20+ needles of various sizes
- Bags of buttons
- Iron-on hem (not my favorite thing ever, but if I need a quick fix, it's alright)
- Multiple meters of elastic
- LACE (love.  So much love.)
- Tape measurers and rulers
- Pin cushion loaded with pins and safety pins
- Knitting needles 

Whoever originally owned this was quite the seamstress.  The craziest part was looking at all the old price tags that had been left on unopened packages.  250-yard cotton thread spools for 25 cents.  Those things go for about $2-5 these days, for reference.  It was as if I had found a time capsule from the late 1960s (approx date verified by some packing labels).

One of the best items was this:


I doubt you'll find an officer wearing these anymore.  There are six that are about the size of a quarter, and maybe 4 the size of a dime.  I don't know what to do with them.  It would seem odd for me to wear them myself, but it's too sad to just let them sit in an old tool box for the rest of eternity.

Part of my decision to go back to being crafty was my fortuitous stumbling across this cache.  I wasn't going to get it at first, but Dillon gave me a nudge, and it was all downhill from there.  :D

Next up - my first upcycling project.

No comments:

Post a Comment