Friday, July 22, 2011

TGIF and Jean Skirts

It has been one of those weeks at work.  One of those... crazy weeks where my professor has been at home sick for three days straight, leaving me with virtually no work this week.

You don't have those weeks, too?  No?  Oh.  Okay.  Just me.  Well, needless to say, I'm aching for something to do other than stare at Excel.

Anywho, it's summertime in Pittsburgh, and that means hot 'n muggy weather!  Today the high is 91˚F, and my apartment is not taking kindly to the fact that I don't have AC.  I need a piece that is going to keep me cool.

I raided the old, unworn clothes sections of my drawers, and even asked Dillon if he had anything he'd be willing to part with.  Between the two of us, we had a pretty fair collection, though I found that I was more drawn to fixing up Dill's things.  He wears clothes about a size up from me, which means I get more fabric and more wiggle room to deal with.  Case in point - he had a pair of older jeans that were now just too small for him, but a little too wonky-looking on me.  Too bad I don't have a before pic, but we all know what it feels like to put on a pair of pants that hug you in all the wrong places.

After a little Google Image browsing for "upcycling jeans", I decided to take just about everything apart and make a new jean skirt.  One of the more common ways to make a skirt is to just take apart the legs at the seam, but then you get that awkward crotch gap that you need to fill with more fabric.  You know - the one that says, "I'm crafty but a little lazy."  Also, I didn't have much denim to spare for filler.  So I decided to go a different route and just cut everything off from the zipper down.  I then cut the legs into panels and sewed them back on.

What I ended up with was this cute little number:


Not too short, not too long, slightly asymmetric (on purpose, I swear!) and the best part - it's a skirt with HUGE POCKETS!

Also handy - the little flower patch was something in the tool box I bought, and the ribbon had been leftover since my freshman year, when my sister sent me a cookie care package (she's the best person ever <3)


Project status?  Success!  My only complaint is that, the waist is a little stiff, so when I sit down, it tends to ride up my waist. 

Remember, my friends.  Good girls sit like this:  X.  

No comments:

Post a Comment