Monday, June 17, 2013

I have a shopping problem (and it's probably not the one you're thinking of)

Ohmigosh - two posts in a week?  I must be mad!  (Or I just like hearing myself type).

Anywho.  I talked last time about the fact that I kind of present myself as the opposite of feminine, sometimes by choice, sometimes by accident.  The problem is, I'm supremely lazy, and throughout school until even now, these have been my feelings on appearance:


I wish I could blame my parents or something for instilling in me a sense of apathy when it comes to appearance while I was growing up, but even when my dad was just running to the gas station, he constantly dressed like he was stepping out of a Hugo Boss catalog.


Hah, hah, just kidding.  His asking my sister to break up with a guy for showing up to our house in jeans was just a SUGGESTION.

My folks used to joke that I never liked anything that one might consider "cute", and this is probably true.  But I think there's another underlying issue.

I'm really just a cheap mofo.

I recently felt badly about how poorly I dress at work, and I felt a little awkward about the fact that I cycle through the same 5+ outfits each week, so I decided to go to the store to pick up a few more blouses that I wouldn't be ashamed to throw into my wardrobe.  I figure, we'll go somewhere kind of casual.  TJ Maxx or something, why not.

First shirt from the rack that I pick up?  $15.


A little more than I want to spend, but it's made of some stiffer cotton.  I'll see if I can find something else.  Next shirt, $9, but the material is so sheer that I'd need a camisole, which is another $9. 


Ok, a polo.  Polos are surely reasonably priced, yes?  $25.


OK, MAYBE A DIFFERENT POLO.  THIS ONE EVEN HAS A PONY ON IT.

$56.


WHAT.  WHAT IS THIS.  WAS THE LOGO EMBROIDERED WITH THREAD FORGED FROM THE STREAMING GOLDEN STRANDS OF KING MIDAS' URINE?! 

Ok, fine.  Forget it.  I just need a new sports bra anyway.  More fabric and quality = More money?  Then less material = Less money.

 


 

 

 


Clearly, the solution is for me to learn how to sew more proficiently.


So, I'm exaggerating a bit.  But just a tad.

Because with a little extra effort and a little less than $1, when I can turn something like this:


DEM SHOULDERS <3 <3 <3

Into something like this:


Or put together something like this:


just by rummaging through my closet and stitching together a skirt and fabric scraps, it sort of makes me want to be a selfish American and not stimulate the economy.  Or something :P

'Til the next.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely hilarious. I hear that a barrel and suspenders work pretty well, too. Good luck with your new product line!

    ReplyDelete