Sunday, June 16, 2013

PEOPLE ARE STILL GETTING PREGGERS (And so I cope with crafts and inebriation)

First - I have to apologize for, again, not keeping my promise to update on a more regular basis.  Two entries a month seems like a really simple thing to accomplish, especially at the rate that I spew nonsense.  The issue is that, I feel inexplicably AWFUL when I don't have a creative piece to showcase.  A lot of people have told me that they think my comics are entertaining, so that's motivating, but then I'm just that girl who draws about life, and I think Allie Brosh already has that arena well covered.  (Seriously, if you haven't heard of Hyperbole and a Half by now, you are missing out on the world.  Go check it out.  I'll wait for you to come back.  I also won't be offended if you just stay there and forget to return.)

But enough of my wallowing.

This is just a super quick update to let you know that I am still alive and doing things.  No witty epiphanies this time around.  Sorry, folks.  Maybe next entry (which should be coming soon.)  Frankly, not a very coherent entry, either.  In my defense, I've had quite a bit going on this past month.

First of all, this handsome man came around for a brief jaunt:


On a whim, we hoofed it down to the beach for some fun in the sun while the weather in Jersey wasn't total crap.

ERMEGERD, MUH LEGS HAVEN'T SEEN LIGHT IN YEARS.
Second: Babies.  Last month, I mentioned my agita about babies and pregnancy, but that doesn't mean my maturity doesn't revert to that of a 6-year-old's and I don't start making incoherent babbling noises every time I see a fat-cheeked munchkin waddling around.  Yes, it's true, and I have no shame.   Anyway, recently, one of my coworkers announced her upcoming pregnancy and was kind enough to invite me to her baby shower.  One good turn deserves another, and I always relish the chance to showcase my work, so as my gift, I made this:


Fleece bear hat with polymer clay eyes.  Partially hand-stitched because I like poking myself with needles until my fingertips bleed.

In addition, I had ordered a stroller from her online register, but when it arrived at my flat, the box was a mess, and I didn't have any wrapping paper to deal with it.  Solution?  Give it a makeover:


Yes.  While some people would just say F*** it, I get crafty.  (Psst.  This is usually a sign that I am losing my mind.) 


Originally I had wanted to do a safari scene, as she'd been to South Africa and seen a number of wild animals, but this was far easier to do on short notice.


Amazing what one can do with a kitchen sponge and some help.  And just in case there was some doubt that this used to be a brown USPS box:


But while I wasn't being inundated with horror stories about labor and feeling like an awkward mofo in a crowd full of women with children half my age, I was getting my drink on in Bucks County, PA.



A friend invited me out to a quasi ska festival at his acquaintance's brewery (Neshaminy Creek Brewery, for the curious).  Ska and alcohol always seem like a good mix, so I said yes.  Several hours later, I was rocking it out to The Pietasters and a bunch of other bands that I have never heard of.



Evidently, there was a motorcycle show going on at the same time, which is always entertaining for all parties, even those who don't know anything about hogs(?).  Case in point:

Pictured:  My friend CK with the "Stripper Choppers" booth.
Standard pole for the ground, and pole on the back of a bike - for the girl on the go.  I effing love people sometimes.

'Til the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment