Thursday, September 26, 2013

Sketch Dump: Riding the 71C


Today's entry comes to you as a bit of a mix between past and present.  Several years ago, as I was riding the bus back from the shopping district, I spotted a young woman, R(H)C, someone I had dormed with in Freshman year, climb on the bus.  As she made her way to the far back, she chose a seat right across from mine.  She was wearing a royal violet, full-length peacoat, which I was rather jealous of/enamored with, but I otherwise didn't notice too much about her for the time being.

I averted eye contact for a few minutes, as I tend to do with most people with whom I'd lost contact from that old dormitory.  It's always awkward, saying hello.  Not to mention, I had recently had a run in with an acquaintance who I had spent 16 weeks in class and 2 weeks with abroad the semester prior, and he had already forgotten me entirely.  I was pretty wary about assuming that people would remember me.

Eventually, I hesitated a little, feeling stupid about being so withdrawn.  If she didn't remember me, well, what's the worst that would happen?  She would simply make brief eye contact, and then look away.  So, I chanced a glance at her.

I wish I could properly draw portraits so that I could do justice to her instead of these terrible wibbly-wobbly caricatures.


At first glance, she hadn't changed much since freshman year.  She'd been a tiny little cherub back then, and even now, she had the same body type.  Yet, there was something about her that seemed... womanly.  As if she'd blossomed in the time I had lost touch with her.  Perhaps it was her hair.  She'd been growing it out since I first met her.  That night, it sat in perfect ringlets.  (She has since cut her hair, but she is no less glamorous.  Maybe more so.)  Her face was subtly made-up, though her lips had a bright impossible-to-miss red tint.

Her hands were in dainty little gloves.  Even her shoes were so well suited.  Black brogue shoes, and beneath those were lacy/webby black stockings


She was... a china doll.  It's the first time, perhaps ever, that I found myself jealous of someone with a higher mass:height ratio than myself.  But there you go.  She was beautiful.

What would her future be like, I pondered then.  She had recently been engaged to be married to a very... eccentric (if bright) fellow.  They've since gotten married, and I know no more about them now then I did then, but I imagine they are doing well enough for themselves.

I sat there for probably 10 blocks, my eyes downcast, too embarrassed to raise my gaze and meet her.  She had grown up.  She was breath-taking in that moment.  Not just her clothes.  Not just her appearance.  But her air.  Her poise.  And there I was, frayed jeans, pilled sweatshirt, headphones decorated with atomic labels, as if I hadn't aged a day past high school graduation.  Dumpy.  Trying to blend into the seat.  Caged in my stupid awkwardness.


I don't remember who got off the bus first, but we never did say hello.  Maybe she didn't recognize me.  Maybe she thought I didn't recognize her.  Whatever the case, that was probably the last time I saw her.

I still haven't quite figured out why I was so floored during that ride back home.  Do I really just like Victorian clothing?  I've since (semi)-gotten over the idea that maturity is all about appearance.  But I never did quite get over the disparity of that evening.  There was a glowing confidence that could not be matched, even if she had only been wearing a potato sack.  Perhaps it was jarring for me to realize that, at 20-some-years, I still wasn't comfortable with the skin I was in.

There's not a good way to conclude this, because she is in no way done growing, and neither am I.  But if I had to guess, she'll be shining bright for quite some time, and if I'm smart, I'll start remembering to twinkle occasionally, too.  

Until the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment