Thursday, September 5, 2013

Star-Struck


I sincerely apologize for how rough today's entry is going to be, as it is pretty much on the fly.  Last night, after nursing a slightly cramping right hand, I realized that I had virtually nothing planned to talk about today.  Yes, I do have a small list of ideas to choose from, but it doesn't cover the entire month, and some of the topics I've got are are planned to be shared on later days.

Or there's always this wellspring of positive creativity.

Any hope of me deciding upon anything interesting was dashed after I decided to watch an hour-long Q&A with Tom Hiddleston and lost the ability to form cogent thoughts. Attractive, goofy, and most importantly - British... the man is a nerd-girl's wet dream.

Thanks to GK for finding this image, which I keep on my phone
in case I need a pick-me-up from a rainy day.  Hnnnhhhhh <3

So, yes.  If you didn't think it was possible for someone my age to fan-girl, you have been swiftly disproved.

I have mixed feelings about the idea of celebrity adulation, though, and I've never really known what would happen if I came face to face with a public figure - would I be stupefied, or would I just give 'em a nod, like I would anyone else I passed on the street?  Most people will tell you that I am naturally fairly stoic, but I've had my moments of "omg squee."

Just like that.  I assure you.

My sister, who lives in the Big Apple, has had the [mis?]fortune of accidentally running into quite a number of big names, including Dave Attell, Cameron Diaz, and Steve Buscemi.  Myself... not so much.

True story:  I was having dinner with a girlfriend at a smallish place called Joe Mama's (Italian diner-esque locale) back in Pittsburgh when the waitress makes mention that she thinks Russell Crowe is at another table on a different level of the restaurant.  This is entirely plausible, as The Next Three Days was being filmed at this time in our fair city.  1 - I've only ever seen half of A Beautiful Mind and never really bothered to look into his other films, and 2 - I don't find him all that attractive, so I didn't take that much interest.  My friend, on the other hand, is in love with his work and thinks he is gorgeous, so on her way to the bathroom, she took a quick peek at the upper level - lo and behold: it was in fact Russell Crowe.

Both of us being polite, opt not to bother him or do any drive-by photo shoots (yeah, yeah, pics or it didn't happen.  Whatever).  BUT, towards the end of dinner, in the middle of conversation, all I see is my friend's face twist in a fashion that I will never forget.  Her gaze drifted and widened, and her jaw dropped as her lower lip slightly quivered.

You see, she and I were sitting right next to the exit.  Mr. Crowe was leaving the restaurant, and on his way out, he had briefly met eyes with my friend.

And I, being a dunce, didn't even think to turn around.  The closest I've ever been to "meeting" a celebrity, and it's gone.  That's right.  Russell Ira Crowe walked literally one foot behind me, and I didn't get so much as a glimpse of him.


I think I would have cared more if it had been... say... Pony Boy up there.  Though.  Ultimately, I'm not sure what difference it would have made in my life.  I doubt I'd have the courage to approach him. Fame is an odd power like that.  Because he is dashing, witty, AND famous, I suddenly feel all that much more inadequate by comparison.

When I was much younger, I kept a composition notebook that had a cover plastered with magazine clippings of attractive stars.  I fantasized about meeting them and the conversations I would have with them (once I got over the daze of being around them, of course).  And that's a little weird, thinking on it, now.  I imagined these things because I thought that if I was actually acquaintances of these people, I was somehow more of a person.  Is our worth judged by the number of people who know our face?

I honestly don't know the answer (though I'd be curious to hear yours).

Still, I waffle.  If I had the chance to meet Mr. Hiddleston (or any number of people that I admire), I'd likely jump at it.  And If I worked up the nerve to say, "Hello, fan of your work, keep it up, mate," does that affect the status quo at all?

Then again.  They say humans interact just by proximity.  Who knows what I'd get out of just being in the same room ;)

Until the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment