Thursday, March 6, 2014

Poor Unfortunate Souls

I've mentioned in previous posts that I was, once upon a time, a bit of a fantasy fanatic, and that I loved dressing up like a little princess.  Above all others, of course, were the Disney Princesses.  These girls were beautiful, fun, they always got the prince, and most importantly:


 Bitchin'


Poofy


Dresses.

But by the age of 14, Classic Disney became sadly formulaic, and as I re-watched some of my favorites, I became keenly aware of something.  The interesting characters weren't the heroines.  The interesting ones were the villains.

Most of the time, villains were smooth, intelligent, witty.  They had all the best songs in the films, and sometimes the more compelling struggles (I am looking straight at you, Judge Claude "Hellfire" Frollo).  I joked in a previous post that, if I were Ariel, The Little Mermaid would have been an entirely different movie.

In honor of that, today's post was inspired by one of my favorite villainesses, Ursula.

Disclaimer:  I apologize to all the mythical seafolk who are offended by my use of the antiquated technique of purpleface.  I intend no disrespect, and do not aim to promote negative merewif stereotypes.

Come in.  Come in, my child!

They weren't kidding when they called me, well, a witch.

Life's full of tough choices, isn't it?

Poor unfortunate souls!

Until the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment